Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Download a csv file from a URL

cesar_castellon
7 - Meteor

Hi, I am trying to download the following file using Alteryx --- http://www.fhfa.gov/HPI_master.csv

Note that is a bit different from an API and that the URL automatically downloads the file.

I attempted to do this using the download tool and specifying the URL and a file address. 

Capture_11.PNGCapture_11_v2.PNG

However the output file does not contain any data - see below

Capture_11_v3.PNG

Any help would be highly appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
RogerS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I just replicated what you did and it worked great.  I'm guessing something is being blocked by a firewall and you might want to try this from outside your network.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Wanted to chime in and say that I tested and got the expected results as well.

Based on the messages in your csv file, I'm guessing you have to authenticate somehow to leave your network/access the internet?  You may need to configure proxy settings or discuss this issue with your networking team.

cesar_castellon
7 - Meteor

Thank you @RogerS

I have other workflows downloading data from other APIs that work just fine - this is why I figured it wasn't my network

Thank you for your comment

cesar_castellon
7 - Meteor

Thank you @Claje,

Given your message and @RogerS comment, I take that there is some network issue that only kicks in when the url downloads automatically a file instead of connecting to an API

Thank you both

kaianderson
8 - Asteroid

@Claje , could you provide an example of what a proxy setup might look like in Alteryx?

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi @kaianderson

Proxy servers are a windows settings and due to this you cannot see them through Alteryx. I would recommend reaching out to your IT team to identify if you have a proxy setup as they'll be better able to assist you.