Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Download XLSX files from Gmail

DanielH
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have been trying to download xlsx files from a specific label to my local computer. I use the tutorial for downloading gmail attachements from the link below:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/Download-Gmail-Attachments-with-Alteryx/ba-p/2882...

However this doesn't work with xlsx files I believe. During the final step the data gets transformed into a blob (with the proper size for the test file) but the output looks like this:

"PK"

Has anyone gotten this to work? The goal is to download the gmail attachements to my local computer. I tried changing the download output to a blob and storing the file but it's unreadable after storing.

2 REPLIES 2
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @DanielH 

The comment below on this article actually elucidates this question:

"Hi Stephen. 

Just wanted to give you a heads up regarding a bug in the tool. Google uses a different base64 encoding than alteryx (see this link) so you need to replace the character '-' with '+' and '_' with '/' before you can base64 decode it, atleast for excel files.

Thank you though for saving me a lot of time with this otherwise excellent tool. 

Best regards//Leif"

Maybe this could be the cause of the issue?

Cheers,

DanielH
8 - Asteroid

Hi Thableaus,

This works like a charm! Adding a formula to replace the characters after the JSON parse allows me to store the excel files.

Thanks for the answer! 

Kind regards,

Labels