Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Download XLSX files from Gmail

DanielH
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have been trying to download xlsx files from a specific label to my local computer. I use the tutorial for downloading gmail attachements from the link below:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/Download-Gmail-Attachments-with-Alteryx/ba-p/2882...

However this doesn't work with xlsx files I believe. During the final step the data gets transformed into a blob (with the proper size for the test file) but the output looks like this:

"PK"

Has anyone gotten this to work? The goal is to download the gmail attachements to my local computer. I tried changing the download output to a blob and storing the file but it's unreadable after storing.

2 REPLIES 2
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @DanielH 

The comment below on this article actually elucidates this question:

"Hi Stephen. 

Just wanted to give you a heads up regarding a bug in the tool. Google uses a different base64 encoding than alteryx (see this link) so you need to replace the character '-' with '+' and '_' with '/' before you can base64 decode it, atleast for excel files.

Thank you though for saving me a lot of time with this otherwise excellent tool. 

Best regards//Leif"

Maybe this could be the cause of the issue?

Cheers,

DanielH
8 - Asteroid

Hi Thableaus,

This works like a charm! Adding a formula to replace the characters after the JSON parse allows me to store the excel files.

Thanks for the answer! 

Kind regards,

Labels