Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Download Tool to retrieve HTML - version 11.5 vs 2018.3

JSNelson08
8 - Asteroid

My company currently uses 11.5 and 2018.3 (a few people have this, but most have 11.5 and can't upgrade until 2019.1 is rolled out later this year).  

I am trying to pull the HTML from a site using the download tool, which I have found many examples showing this is possible in the community.  

with the same flow running in 2018.3 and 11.5:  I am able to pull the site using 2018.3, but 11.5 gets the error "Failure when receiving data from the peer".  

I know that our IT department has blocked some outgoing ports, as when I try to hit a site using python urllib2, it fails.  

is there a difference in the method in which the download tool retrieves information between 11.5 and 2018.3+?

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@JSNelson08 ,

Do you have a proxy setup on both or either?

DanM

JSNelson08
8 - Asteroid

both computers should be going through a proxy (and should be the same corporate proxy).  

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@JSNelson08 in your 11.5 version. If you go to the User Settings and the Advanced tab, do you see the Proxy Settings? Are they enabled for your proxy?

Screenshot 2019-07-25 10.28.47.png

JSNelson08
8 - Asteroid

ok, I see that part of the page, but the checkbox is not selected to enable proxy creds.

DaveF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@JSNelson08 In the screenshot where it says "No Proxy in Use", does yours say the same or does it say something else? 

JSNelson08
8 - Asteroid
looks like my Proxy Settings are stating "Configuration Script Proxy in Use"... that could be the problem
DaveF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@JSNelson08 The download tool is simply a wrapper for cURL, which is a free and open source tool used to transfer data to/from a server. There have not been any changes to the tool between 11.5 and 2018.3 aside from updating the version of cURL that is bundled with Alteryx. cURL does not support PAC scripts so that is likely the reason for the errors you are seeing. Since it is working in 2018.3, it seems the PAC script is not being used in that version and we are just making the request directly to the external network. Unfortunately, the only specific recommendation I can make is to avoid using a PAC script. Before upgrading to 2019.1, I would recommend thoroughly testing the various connectors you use due to this PAC script limitation. 

FYI, Designer 11.5 is technically no longer supported. 

JSNelson08
8 - Asteroid
Thank you for the information. being a wrapper for curl makes perfect sense. I'm not surprised 11.5 is no longer supported, my company likes to run about 5 versions behind on our tools, and I'm actually shocked that we're upgrading to 2019.1 in the same calendar year as its release! Thanks again
Labels