Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Download Tool - Questions on Headers

Ikennao
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am having issues getting data from a URL with the download tool. The url I am trying to pull from encodes the data with gzip if this is requested in the header and should default to utf-8 if nothing is specified.

However, I only specify the content-type in the header and its still return the Download data as gzip not utf-8.

The questions i have are:

1) How does alteryx handle request headers? is it very similar to curl? also am inputting in the headers correctly (do i need speech marks)?

NameValue
content-typeapplication/json

2)The Download header from the download tool, is that the response header from the url?

3) has anyone else encountered an issue similiar to this?

Thanks,

Ikenna 

7 REPLIES 7
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi!

Is it possible to share the details about the API you are specifically trying to access? 

Ben

Ikennao
6 - Meteoroid

Unfortunately not

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Okay, the answer to question 2 is 'Yes'.

What is the response you are getting, is it passing through a http error?

Ben

Ikennao
6 - Meteoroid

I dont get an error per say. But the JSON downloaded in the download data column isnt identified as one by Alteryx JSON Parse function.

When i look into the download headers I can see that the content-encoding is set to gzip and im wondering if that could potentially be the issue

Ikennao
6 - Meteoroid

The issue seems to be as a result of the Alteryx Download tool not working  well with streaming APIs as the content length is not known and the transfer-encoding is set to chunked

Has anyone managed to get the alteryx download tool to work for a streaming api that returns a JSON? Does that json get recognised by the JSON parse?

Does Alteryx support transfer encoding chunked?

Thanks,

Ikenna 

Ikennao
6 - Meteoroid

Turns out Alteryx was picking up the unicode byte order mark but not showing it.

Hence the json parse did not identify the json format

JTMorris
6 - Meteoroid

How did you fix this?

Labels