Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Download Files from Sharepoint 2013

ardsilva
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I need to download PDF files from a SP site and store it locally using Alteryx. In Sharepoint, I tried to get the UNC path by going to Libraries tab and then click on 'Open in Explorer'. But this gave me a relative path "https://share.xx.net/sites/xxx_xxxxx/Lists/Shared Documents/9.xxxxx/xxxxx" . How do I use this link to download the files using alteryx? Or is there any other better way to do this ?

I am pretty new to Alteryx, so any guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Antony.

23 REPLIES 23
dataMack
12 - Quasar

To open files directly in Alteryx that are in a SP 2013 document library (not items in a list), use a UNC path not a url path.  You also need to change it a bit if you have SSL on you SP2013 site.  It would look something like this:

\\share.xx.net@SSL\DavWWWRoot\sites\xxx_xxxxx\Lists\Shared Documents\9.xxxxx\xxxxx

ardsilva
7 - Meteor

Thanks Jason. This is what I have been trying to do. I will try to get the UNC path from SP administrator and see how it goes.

Thanks

Antony.

keith_ainsworth
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jason,

How do you get around the authentication requirements?  We are trying to run workflows from the Alteryx server on a schedule so as such the service account is not logged into the domain so there are no credentials to pass.

Keith

casperkeilstrup
5 - Atom

Are there any updates on connecting a sharepoint library to the Alteryx server?

AndrewCrayford
8 - Asteroid

@dataMack Was wondering if you can help me, as i trying to download a file from Sharepoint so i can read it in Alteryx but I am having problems trying to do this, any advise would be gerat

Philip_raymond
5 - Atom

Try making a shortcut to the file you want to use, and place it somewhere else on your local drive or network drive. Since it's a shortcut it should be updated when changes occur in the original file.

cam_w
11 - Bolide

Hi Jason,

This method only works for our SP 365 online environment if I first make a connection by openning a site/folder from IE into Explorer. I still need to test it in Server, but it seems that Alteryx is waiting for my credentials to be established (SSL?) before it will allow the connection from Alteryx. We use Windows Authentication to SP.

Not sure this is going to work if I deploy the workflow to Server.

LesyaM
5 - Atom

Hi Jason,

Interesting fact that while trying to open the yxmd file representing an Alteryx workflow book from sharepoint while quoting similar UNC path

\\share.xx.net@SSL\DavWWWRoot\sites\xxx_xxxxx\Lists\Shared Documents\9.xxxxx\xxxx.yxmd

I am getting an error  Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed 

I am still on build 11.0.6.28907 and wondering whether it is build constraint or something else SSL relevant?

Strangely I am able to save yxmd file on sharepoint but unable to open. 

Thank you

Lesya

GGuenther
7 - Meteor

You should be able to locate the UNC path by right clicking on the file and looking at properties

Labels