Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Download Data from website

Mancunian
8 - Asteroid

How do I download data from the following website in the attachment using xml spare, download tool or API?

36 REPLIES 36
danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi Ama.

I would suggest something like the attached workflow. Please note that I have limited the input to 5 records.

Best,

Daniel

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

Did the suggested solution work out for you?

Have a nice weekend,

Daniel

Mancunian
8 - Asteroid

Hi Daniel

Thank you for your reply. I'm afraid I am still unsure about what to do as when I open the attchment all I can see is the Xml code.

Would you be able to attach the actual Alteryx Module for me?

Thank you

Regards

AMA

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi, AMA,

Does it show the XML in the browser? I would suggest that you right click and say "save destination as". It is the actual module I have uploaded. 

Bonus info: An Alteryx module is just a textfile with XML in it.

Best regards,

Daniel

Mancunian
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much for the bonus information! I had no idea!

I have right clicked and aved it as .yxmd but I am afraid I am using version 8.6.2 and so it won't let me open a module from a newer version (or so it says!)

AMA

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You are very welcome. I do not have 8.6.2, but I will see if a colleague can save the flow in that version.

Best regards,

Daniel

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Could you maybe try this flow. I have just edited the version inside the XML (not supported), so if you can open the flow I suggest you make a new one with inspiration from mine.

Best regards,

Daniel

Mancunian
8 - Asteroid

Sorry for not replying earlier. I have been caught up with some other work.

The last Alteryx Module you attached still does not open on my version.

Could you send me instructions on how I could best get the doenload tool to work?

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

No worries.

I have tried to make some screenshots as well as a description of what I am doing.

The flow:

Flow

So here is a description of the 6 tools:

1. It all start with the excel sheet you provided.
  2. Next comes the download tool which does the actual magic. Choose the "Website" as the field user for the URL (the rest is just parsing ect.)
    1. Download tool
  3. Takes away unescessary fields 
    1. Skærmbillede 2015-12-07 kl. 20.06.10.png
  4. Uses the build in XML parser
    1. Parse
  5. Takes away unescessary fields - Download data(data can build up fast if you dont do this)
    1. Select
  6. Browse tool. Choose your preferred output.
    1. Browse

And that's it. Please let me know if it solves your problem, and you are able to replicate it. 

Best regards,

Daniel

Labels