Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dowload Data from SQL Database

praneshsapmm
8 - Asteroid

Hi ,

I have this requirement of connecting Alteryx to SQL DB to pull data from certain tables . 

But since the data is very very huge , i would like to pull only selective field information from SQL DB instead of dumping everything into Alteryx and filtering out . 

Is there way to write a query in alteryx to table to pull few required field information from DB instead of downloading all the data . 

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @praneshsapmm ,

Within the input tool you can select to get data from an SQL or ORACLE database (for example). Once you click after having a connection configured you will see an SQL editor to write your own queries. You don't need to download the whole information.

Regards

praneshsapmm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @afv2688  ,

Thankyou for the information . 

Iam into SQL or Oracle very much . Is it same SQL queries must be used or is there something specific to Alteryx .

Thanks.

praneshsapmm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @afv2688  ,

Thankyou for the information . 

Iam not into SQL or Oracle very much . Is it same SQL queries must be used or is there something specific to Alteryx .

Thanks.

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @praneshsapmm 

Within alteryx you will be using the same syntax as usual. There is no specific syntax.

Regards

praneshsapmm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @afv2688 

Thanks for the answer. 

Just one more requirement . I am looking for the extract data from DB (very huge DB) from a table only when i find a specific value in the given field . 

What kind of tools to be used for this . I understand from community that normal Input tool takes a lot of time to extract .

Thanks,

Hamder83
11 - Bolide

Something like this?

select * from

Db.table
WHERE

Coloumns_name = 'xxx' ?

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @praneshsapmm,

Extractions and uploads can take a lot of time yes. It depends on the amount of lines you expect to get. The more you can narrow your search with the querie the faster it will be. It also depends on the specifications of the machine you are using.

If you like you can also test the results beforehand with the IN DB tools. They are usually faster (as long as you don't want to stream them into your machine) given that they use the db resources instead of the ones on your machine.

Regards

Labels