Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Double data type is rendered as text for few values in few columns in alteryx worflow

PoojaSingh88
7 - Meteor

I have columns with double datatype and when rendered into .xlsx output file a few numbers are dispalayed as text.( small green triangle at the left top corner of the cell)

Whats the issue.How can this be corrected.

8 REPLIES 8
RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@PoojaSingh88  can you share the workflow for us?

PoojaSingh88
7 - Meteor

its a large workflow and cant be shared due to data confidentiality rules.

However I can share few examples of what's happening

when I check the browse for the column 1 which is configured as a double - I can see the value as per below

when I use the table tool -> Layout -> render tool to output this in .xlsx I see the output as -917,730 but as a text format a green triangle on left top corner of the cell.

Also to note I have read these via a binary input file and am writing it to xlsx.

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

The Render tool effectively creates the table as a blob type this is why the formatting defaults to Text (V_WString).

Double does not support Blobs.

Is there a way you can output the columns directly using the Output tool?

PoojaSingh88
7 - Meteor

I need to use render tool as formatting is required in the output report ...what other data type can I use that would support the number format in the render tool ?

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@PoojaSingh88 

What does the number represent in your data?

I came across this post

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Output-currency-in-Excel-as-number-not...

Here the output appears in Excel as a Custom/Currency/Special format.

Maybe this will help you in some way?

PoojaSingh88
7 - Meteor

Hi ,

I still am facing issues.

Now I am reading the input files in .xlsx format. processing data all in double datatype and outputting to a .xlsx file using the render tool.

A few negative large numbers are being written as text and not numbers. This is causing issues to validate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ex: attachd

JoeBarndollar
6 - Meteoroid

I was having the same issue.

Fix this by selecting landscape orientation instead of portrait orientation in the Render configuration.

hung_o
5 - Atom

I had similar issue, a table column (number) with one of the cells shown as text in Excel. A workaround was by changing Report Style of Render output, e.g. to A3 / B3 paper size, Landscape, No Margins. A kind of trial and error to find setting that eliminates the text format.

The idea is to widen the report page such that the columns can show sufficient numeric data.

Labels