Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Don't Output if No Records

aideenfreeman
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I have a workflow where the input data is constantly changing and there are many different streams dictated by filter tools. I am looking to only create an output if there are records.

I tried to use a formula tool to show that if the workflow is producing an empty stream to not run the output tool but it i not working for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @aideenfreeman 

Refer this usecase hope this gives you an idea.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Output-Message-when-input-has-no-recor...

Use this with a message tool.

aideenfreeman
7 - Meteor

Hi @atcodedog05

I am looking for no output to be created not an output message to be created. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @aideenfreeman ,

Here is the scenario.

When data exits

atcodedog05_0-1601915122586.png

When empty data

atcodedog05_2-1601915234776.png

Since there is no rows message tool is set to halts execution. The Join Tool is built on join by position hence L anchor outputs 'pad' only if there is no rows.

Message Tool:

atcodedog05_3-1601915308776.png

Hope this helps 🙂 and meets the requirement.

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

Harbinger
9 - Comet

Hey @aideenfreeman 

This very issue has already been solved here in the community: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Don-t-Output-if-No-Records/td-p/506785

we see this a lot and this is how it is solved most of the time! hope this helps! 

Best, 

John 

Labels