Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Doing an Vlookup based of 5 input files

CarlMz
6 - Meteoroid

HI

I have 5 input files which all have a common field as customer ID. i want to use the ID from File 1 and do an vlookup on the remaining 4 files and bring in the additional columns where ever there is an ID match . If there is no ID match i still want to retain the information from file 1. I am unable to do it correctly through a join tool.

ANy suggestions would be helpful

Carl

3 REPLIES 3
Jhugues
5 - Atom

Hi Carl,

Sounds like you're new to Alteryx. I think you're gonna like the join tool which will allow you to do exactly what you want. 

If you feel like it you can also use join multiple which will let you do it in one go. The tutorials in Alteryx are quite good, you should have a look

CarlMz
6 - Meteoroid

very new. i am using the multiple join tool but for some reason its not only restricting data to the IDs from File 1. That file contains 3920 records and the need is to see only those 3920 records in final file with 20 odd columns from the 4 files (these files have large record sets).

Jhugues
5 - Atom

1. In you multiple join, make sure you join all files on the right field and not by position. In you case you probably should have only one line.

2. If your input files have a lot of unnecessary fields, you should use the select tool (in preparation) in order to select only the ones you need. 

Labels