Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Does the Input Tool have a limit on how many xlsx files it can read?

nnilz
8 - Asteroid

Hi Community,

I am trying to read in 21 files and guess what, Alteryx can only manage 19 xlsx files. I noticed when I make space (i.e. remove older files) then the latest files get read.

-How can I read in all files?

Kind regards,

nick

2 REPLIES 2
nnilz
8 - Asteroid

I see it now guys.... glaring data inconsistency staring me right in the face. Please ignore this post!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@nnilz ,

For completion of the question (aside from a minor spacing out issue):

There are no limits for file reads.  Alteryx does however require that all schemas (description of the data) be identical.  This does present some challenges when reading files like excel or CSVs.  If a field appears to be a numeric type but one file includes a space or comma, then that file would be omitted.  If the lengths of the fields vary, that could be an issue too.

There are multiple solutions (including CReW macros) that solve for these differences.  The ultimate power is to use a BATCH macro to read the data (read a list of incoming file paths) and allow the macro to output a UNION of all fields with the permission to have differing output file layouts.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels