Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Does anyone know how to trunicate in Alteryx

dgcolby
6 - Meteoroid

I want to take a column of Data (example 145J) and use a RIGHT cmd to create a new column output that only keeps the last digit, in this example J.

I was thinking of using an IF/THEN statement for the same thing above. The column data I am analyzing has 3 digits followed by a letter (another example 145H), I thought by trunicating the data to just the letter, I could then write an expression that only keeps the J/H's all else would be NULL.

Any help would be great!

Regards!

Darin

4 REPLIES 4
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dgcolby ,

You can use data cleansing tool to remove any digit from your cells. 

fmvizcaino_0-1573581491832.png

See if that works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

luizcarlosj
5 - Atom

Hello!

You can use the Formula tool by creating a new column with the following expression: Right ([Data], 1)

Following are some images as an example.

formula1.JPGformula2.JPG

I am also sending the workflow.

Regards,
Luiz Amorim

CailinS
Alteryx
Alteryx

You could also use the Regex Tool which has a bit more nuance and allows for a more...stringent rule than 'right()'. For instance, keep only the 4th character if it is a *letter* (something like "...(\u)" which would return null for anything that didnt have a patter of . (single character) . (single character) . (single character) \u (uppercase letter).

Cailin Swingle
Customer Experience
JuanPortugal
5 - Atom

Hello!

If the data size is standard, you can use the tool "Formula" and use the "Substring" command, as in the images sent.

Substring_Alteryx_Community.PNG

I am also sending the workflow.

Regards,

Juan Portugal

Labels