Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Does Regular Expression Generator exist in Alteryx?

BenChan
6 - Meteoroid

I am digging into regular expression recently. 

I think the way that Alteryx takes advantage of regular expression is that, first users observe the pattern of a text (unstructured), then users type in the regular expression for the string element they would like to find out. It is a one-way direction and not good learning curve for a business user.

Therefore, I am wondering is there any Macro in Alteryx Gallery or tools that allows us to creat a bi-directional regular expression generator. In other words, I give the text input, then Alteryx gives me the regualr expression.

For example,

Input:

123a

129b

090Z

Output:

\d+\w

3 REPLIES 3
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Have you looked online for a generator? I saw regexmagic in a search and it looked promising.
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @BenChan,

This was a fun little project! I attached my take on it - it is not an exhaustive "guide" to RegEx, but it should give you a good start if you are using it as a learning tool. This could definitely be expanded upon to allow the users to select if they would like it to be Case Sensitive or not (in this case, it is). This runs as an Analytic App and accepts a single String input.

Best,

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
Oskar_H
5 - Atom

This was super useful for a task I had to carry out. Thank you!!

Labels