Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Does Alteryx has a simple Regex_search to return first matched substring in formula tool?

luk
6 - Meteoroid

I'm trying to extract sub-string from a main string,  e.g.  extract "c1234" from "abc1234efg".  In the past I can use a simple pattern "c\d*" to get what I need, but in Alteryx formula it seems doesn't have any way to do this.  The closest way is use REGEX_Replace,  but I have to change pattern to ".*(c\d*).*" plus use a mysterious "$1" in the end,  which is much more complicate and counter-intuitive.

I know there is a tool called "RegEx", but it does not support concatenate pattern string according to previous fields.

Does anyone have any idea about how to fulfill this function?  Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@luk 

You still can I think

Capture31.PNG

luk
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, I know this tool, but what I want to do is concatenate pattern string like this:

luk_0-1612762317102.png

The "key" is one of input field of formula tool.  Can RegEx tool also do this without creating macro?

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@luk 

Sorry about the misunderstanding.
But maybe your approach is the best I can think of/😁

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @luk 

Your example does exactly what you're looking for.

REGEX_Replace([Field1], ".*("+[Key]+"\d*).*", "$1")

Here are the results with some sample data

danilang_0-1612795434246.png

As @Qiu said, there's no way to get the Regex tool to be dynamic without a macro.  But why would you want to, when you have the solution using the formula tool?

Dan

Dan

luk
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for reply,  I have this trouble because I wrote regex in both python and Alteryx,  and the pattern syntax is very different between them.  In this example,  it's "c\d*" in Python but ".*(c\d*).*" in Alteryx,  while the function is the same.

BretCarr
10 - Fireball

@luk I wanted to address the “mysterious $1” comment.

$1 is used to refer to the capture group in your expression. If you had more groups, they would increment $2, $3, etc.

This allows you to use your capture group and do something else with it once extracted. For example, you could do something like:

regex_replace(.........., ‘Ref#: ‘ +’$1’) to get a result of “Ref# C1234” if you were so inclined.

Hope that makes sense!

luk
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you,  I think this is the most tricky part.  If I use pattern "c.*f" for string "abcdefghi",  "$1" match nothing,  while in other language, it will match "cdef".  so if I copy the pattern from other language or devtool,  I have to rewrite it to Alteryx format.

BretCarr
10 - Fireball

If you do

(c.*f)

then it should work. The parentheses identifies the capture group. Without the parentheses, $1 isn’t going to have anything “captured” from a match.

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing but your pattern def works. 

luk
6 - Meteoroid

Sorry but 

(c.*f)

does not work on  2020.3.5, it must be like

.*(c.*f).*

I'm sure we are talking the same thing.

Labels