Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Does Alteryx Support Windows 11?

HW1
9 - Comet

Windows 11 has been released to general public and my OS prompted me to upgrade from 10 to 11 but, before I do that, I would like to know if Alteryx supports Windows 11 fully?

My work is heavily dependent on Alteryx and I have various plugins installed; namely:

• PostGres Driver
  • Tableau Starter Kit
  • R (I dont see that on the Downloads page now)

Any update/advise on that?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I don't believe it has been "officially" recognized, but I've been using Windows 11 with Alteryx since Win11 was in Beta for Insider devs only.  

No issues.  And I use all of the tools you've listed.

deepakreddy
7 - Meteor

Hey @patrick_mcauliffe 

Is there any official confirmation or documentation from Alteryx that confirm that the latest Designer version is fully compatible with Windows 11?

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

As of today they list it as "coming soon".  

Keep tabs on this url for the official decision:

https://www.alteryx.com/products/alteryx-designer#system-requirements

mbogusz
9 - Comet

Hi @patrick_mcauliffe, I see you've been running Windows 11 + Alteryx since Oct 21'.  Have you experienced the issue of not being able to set Alteryx as the default app for all the Alteryx file formats?  This is the problem I'm currently running into. The only way I open workflows is by dragging the files onto the canvas, but I'm not able to double-click on them and have them open that way.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hey @mbogusz I haven't run into that issue before.
Windows should have automatically recognized Alteryx as the default for Alteryx related formats.

What you may want to do is set the format to app association manually.

Have you tried these steps? 
https://www.makeuseof.com/change-windows-11-default-apps/

See Option 2 "Use the Settings App" and set by file type.

mbogusz
9 - Comet

Hi @patrick_mcauliffe, thank you so much for the fast response.  I've tried all of the steps in the link and they didn't work, except for "Reset the Targeted App".  Going to see if using the powershell command in that step can work though.  What's tricky is knowing what the Alteryx package name is to do that. Maybe it's Alteryx.installPackages, maybe it's something different.2023-07-07 10_14_34-Windows 11_ Need help choosing default program for .yxwz, .yxmc, and .yxmd file .png

2023-07-07 10_21_21-001d. Source CSV Files to YXDB - TPC.yxmd Properties.png

Some more details of the issue.  The Alteryx files are pointing to an "Unknown application", but this is the "AlteryxGui.exe" in the installation folder. For some reason it's not being recognized.  I might resort to reinstalling next to see if that resolves it.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@mbogusz The Reset-AppxPackage is only for apps installed through MSIX or Appx, which is generally the Microsoft Store.  It won't work for Alteryx.

Its odd that manually setting the association in Settings didn't do it.

Reinstall (cleanly shutdown and then power back on between uninstall and reinstall) can sometimes be the cleanest option.

If that doesn't work, we can manually change it in the Windows registry.  If needed, let me know: Do you have Admin rights on the local machine?

mbogusz
9 - Comet

Hi @patrick_mcauliffe, I don't have admin rights.  The internal Support person I work with had suggested making the registry edit, but didn't want to do that for all Alteryx users at the company.  Now that it's come down to that I'm going to ask him to do that. Thanks for your help 🙏

mbogusz
9 - Comet

Hi @patrick_mcauliffe, Do you know where in the registry to make the edits?  If not, that's okay we're asking some internal resources too.

Labels