Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Documenting Data Sources for communication with IT

FredericP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Does anybody have experience with the process of documenting data sources needed for blending. Do you use a stale word document? Visual documents? Any best practices and templates you could share?

Thanks for sharing your approach...

2 REPLIES 2
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

When I was consulting, we would use MS Visio to document what data was used and where the joins were, and then add in verbal descriptions of the details of data structure. (There are other products that are designed more for that, but Visio always worked.) 

That said, since Alteryx workflows are pretty Visio-like anyway (and since they are bringing back the ability to print), I would probably just go with an Alteryx workflow (that may use the comment boxes to document better what is contained in a data source) and paste that into a document that would have the details.

chris_love
12 - Quasar

Completely agree with Rod. Use Alteryx itself.

I include:

Title

Author

Version Number

Change Log

Here's a great example of annotation from one the macros @AdamR_AYX added to the CReW Macros.

2015-10-07_17-49-26.jpg

Labels