Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Documentation of Model / Version Documentation

eisesara
7 - Meteor

Is there a way in Alteryx to export a view of what the workflow to show what model is doing – like each tool, formula, join, summarize, annotations, images, etc. in word format for someone who has never used Alteryx and is unfamiliar to see what our model is ultimately doing?Ultimately need documentation of the model logic automated.

I am really interested and intrigued to see how I can export something to show leadership (who are unfamiliar with Alteryx) the model logic. Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@eisesara 
It would be good if something like that becomes available.

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @eisesara ,

Documentation is not automated in Alteryx yet, apart from the annotation appearing under each tool.

However, you can document your workflows through using a comment box, which allows you to add text and colour. Via the comment box tool, you can add a title to your workflow, when that was last edited/version of the workflow and explain briefly what each part of the workflow does by grouping certain tools inside the comment box.

As I said, this is not automated and you have to put the effort in to return dividends, but it will serve the purpose if you want to show to people that are not very experienced with Alteryx.

Hope that helps,

Angelos

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Good morning, I hope all is well. 

After completing my workflow, I added comments to each tool explaining the step of the process within Alteryx. Then I took a screenshot and added it to my processes and procedures. From there, I downloaded the icons, C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\HtmlAssets\help.alteryx.com\AlteryxCurrent\en to further explain what data was manipulated at which step so that the target audience was both able to see the big picture and dive into the weeds of the process. Hope this helps. 

example2.PNG

LindsayG
5 - Atom

Hello @eisesara,

You could look into Workflow Admin Manager (WAM). This application streamlines the documentation and management of Alteryx workflows, it allows for audit reporting, mass updating across workflows, as well as tracking workflow changes. The reports provide insight into data sources, tools used, configurations, version control, and workflow visualization, these can then be shared easily.

If you are interested in more information, go to this link:

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Workflow-Admin-Manager-for-Alteryx-by-Capitalize-Analytics/5fb3ff2... 

eisesara
7 - Meteor

Thank you @LindsayG 

I just submitted our workflow on Capitalize website. Looking forward to the results. I will let you know if this worked for us. Thank you!!

esoden
8 - Asteroid

Hello! Did you get your document back? What did you think?

There have been many updates to the application since your post. More information here:

https://capitalizeconsulting.com/workflow-admin-manager/

Full webinar here: https://capitalizeconsulting.com/webinar/administering-and-managing-alteryx-workflows-with-wam-workf...

eisesara
7 - Meteor

I actually never got a document back.

Labels