Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Documentation Tools and Processing Time

Hello, we are currently working on a workflow in Designer which will eventually be in Server. The workflow is quite large and takes some significant time to run. While I know being on server should drastically reduce processing time, we are trying to make sure this is most efficient. 

That being said, would using documentation tools/annotations on specific tools cause a delay in processing time? While we understand the need to document, we need to make sure we are doing this strategically. 

Thank you for the support 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

The documentation tools should have a negligible impact on workflow run time. In fact, I would highly suggest that they are used so that the workflows are easier to maintain and update in the future! 

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@RebeccaCurry_dup_261  I would also like to add that you should take a look at the "Performance Profiling" option under the Runtime tab in the configuration window. It will show you a breakdown of the percentage of workflow runtime for every single tool on the canvas. This is a great way to understand which operations are taking the most time and if there are any opportunities for optimization. 

performance profiling.png

You will likely find that your inputs/outputs take the most time, so ensuring that you are using the best drivers is always a good idea. Also, if you are querying data from a database, you may find that leveraging In-DB functionality for what you can prior to bringing the data in memory is also a good idea to minimize the volume of data that actually needs to travel over the network. Also sometimes formula and multi-formula tools can be more efficient than the Data Cleansing tool so that is another easy way to save some time in your processing. 

I hope this helps point you in the right direction! 

Labels