Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Do you need to register a new Azure App for the latest Power BI Output tool (v3)?

hornungr
7 - Meteor

We've been using the older version of the Power BI output tool (v2.1.3) but looking forward to upgrading to v3 where we can 'replace' data in a dataset without breaking reports.  The add-in has otherwise been working fine.

In initial testing of the new version we get presented with a 'Need admin approval' message after supplying O365 creds.  This happens with both Authentication Methods although the message is slightly different:

-When authenticating with the 'Sign in via internet Browser' method, the message references 'Alteryx Analytics Connector'

-When authenticating with 'Provide authentication information', the message references 'FHR - Alteryx Power BI' (FHR is just our company name).

Is this to say we need to have our O365 admins register two azure apps for us to use either authentication methods in the newer version?  We did have an azure app registered when we started using the older version...it works fine with the old version of the alteryx output tool but not the new one. 

I wanted to make sure this was expected behavior before engaging our Azure admins since I'm not that familiar with how azure registered apps work.  From what I remember last time we had to have our O365 admin and an Alteryx rep on a conference call to get it working properly.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
dougperez
12 - Quasar

Hello @hornungr 

As far as I know all these azure tools don't work anymore (power bi output, onedrive etc) because azure changed something into app authentication... (see the e-mail above, is a response from alteryx support):

"Hi Douglas,

Thanks for reaching out. This error is currently being returned for the configuration of any new Azure Web Application and the corresponding Alteryx Data Connector Tools. The Microsoft endpoints attempting to be utilized within the tools requires to be updated and, because they're hard coded, there's not a workaround available.

This behavior has since been documented and reported to our Engineering team, and they're actively working towards addressing such. While I don't have a definite timeline for when the updated implementation will be finalized, upon receiving any developments, particularly once the behavior has been addressed, we'll be sure to follow up. Apologies for any inconvenience as a result.

Thanks for writing in and for your patience."

hornungr
7 - Meteor

Thanks @dougperez -  So sounds like we need to put the brakes on using the new output tool until this is figured out.  I couldn't find any other threads on this problem so it must be pretty new.  Hopefully this one gets posted to the support KB by Alteryx for awareness and any future updates.

hornungr
7 - Meteor

A quick update on this... We were able to get the v3 PBI output tool to work properly in Alteryx designer.  It was simply a matter of having our O365/Azure admins allow use of the Alteryx Connector app on our tenant; once that was done, we could publish to power bi online from designer.  The fix for replacing a data without breaking reports seems to work well too.

A bonus is that we no longer need to specify tenant_id/client/secret/etc like in the previous version...a big improvement.

I'm wondering if the behavior @dougperez notes is strictly related to the gallery.  I was told that v3 of the pbi output tool is not currently supported with the gallery server...hopefully in the next update though.

Labels