Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Do I need to use a Macro?

craigja
8 - Asteroid

I have a horrendous workflow that takes in a number of files, XML and Excel does a comparison, then spits out an Excel document with multiple tabs. for for each check basically, showing the comparison and a Pass/Fail depending on whether the values match between the files. It was/is all working fine however....  The user has now requested that they want to be able to run this for around 20 XML files and want to run it as a batch.  So it would create an Excel file (with all the tabs), one for each XML.  Ive been playing about with it all day and the issue I have is that each XML file is a fund, so there are 20 funds but when Im using the Parse XML tool, I pull out certain values, say Fund Currency, then check that against the Excel file but if I bring in more than one XML file, the fund name is not in the field that I extract, so what I want to do is run the workflow once for each file, rather than as happens now where Alteryx brings in all the XML files at once.  Is a Macro the way to go?  Would I simply put my existing workflow 'inside' the macro, passing the XML filename?

1 REPLY 1
craigja
8 - Asteroid

I think I do need a macro - the macro outputs are the individual XML fields that Im extracting. So I pass in the XML, output the multiple fields that I've extracted, pass them to the reconciliation part, then the macro runs again for the next XML in the directory 🙂 Only issue......  Ive got loads, and i mean maybe 40 or so, outputs from the XML file that need to come out the macro!

Labels