Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Distance in KM from a Long/Lat Point

Plight
7 - Meteor

Hi All

New to Alteryx and these forums - grateful for any help with this one.

I have data containing latitude and longitude points. I want to generate a second latitude and longitude point based on a distance in KM from the original point in the direction of North, South, East or West. If you can imagine my data looks something like this:

Lat                  Long                Direction    Distance(KM)

-32.170777  |  146.060376  |  West         |  20 |                | NEW LAT | NEW LONG

There seems to be a lot of guides around about creating radius around points, or calculating distance between two known points, but neither offer the solution I need.

Grateful for any assistance.

2 REPLIES 2
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Plight

I just took a quick go at this. It's not exact science but might be able to set you on your way. The way I created the N, S, E, W points maybe requires some mathematical calulation to get it exact however, this could give you some results if you were just looking for points in those directions.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Plight
7 - Meteor

Brilliant Jordan, thanks so much for the quick response. I'll take a look at this tonight, even if it's not perfect, it will have me well on my way.

Cheers

Henry

Labels