Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Discuss the data source in some weekly challenges [ data preparation]

Beth630
5 - Atom

For challenges like this ( after working on challenge 33) I could always solve but in a messy way, and then I will read the solutions make by the others to improve my skills. Although each time I learnt something, but also find myself lack of the sense on finding the orderness of the data, the data in this challenge is based on position, and some others may have different rules. 

Beth630_0-1626991426786.png

( the data from challenge 28, Taxable_ A shares should be the sharetype,the data below should all in that type...   also could be solved if use REGEX ) 

Or some Data Parsing problems, use Text to cols to separate one field to several columns, you will see so many info in one field with certain rules.

Beth630_2-1626992530520.png

(the data from challenge 121 the text field with a lot of info...which could be split with the Text to cols tool ) 

I am willing to learn and improve my skills and these questions really helpful, although in my work I always get data from relational databases only which are much more cleaner ( at least in a better format).  So I am curious about how can we get the data like this -- from which type of systems or tools or platform will run out the dirty data or could we solve it from that tool or update the tool ? Is it commonly used in our dailylife ? 

2 REPLIES 2
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Microsoft Excel... The nemesis of everyone who cares about data. Seriously - just take a look at some of the sample data people load here for help on their workflow... Lots of it looks like the weekly challenges or  even more mangled.

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar
Labels