Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Disable tool container based on a condition

mschmeiser
7 - Meteor

I have a workflow which inputs, transforms, edits and writes the results to an output file that is in a tool container. As a part of the workflow, I am performing edits to ensure that certain characteristics are present, i.e. column headers are correct, no null values, valid values, etc. The error listing from the edit checks is captured in a separate output file. If the output from the edit checks contains a record count > 0, I would like to prevent the output within the tool container from writing the records to the output location. I added a test tool to each output from the edit checks and added the Runtime edit to 'Cancel Running Workflow on Error', but the output in the tool container still wrote the records to the output location. Can a condition be placed on the error listing output that disables the tool container if the number of error records exceeds 0? If so, how is that accomplished?

mschmeiser_0-1667427265249.png

3 REPLIES 3
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @mschmeiser 

Try to addapt the attached workflow to your situation. You can check out this topic too: Dynamically enabling / disabling workflow sections - Alteryx Community

Outside of the macro it will be something like this:

Felipe_Ribeir0_1-1667428478730.png

mschmeiser
7 - Meteor

@Felipe_Ribeir0  Thank you for that feedback. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with macros and did not understand how to incorporate it into my workflow. I also tried to review with a co-worker, but was not successful. He provided an easier alternate solution [shown below] which works beautifully.

mschmeiser_0-1667489705669.png

1. Count the records in the error file

2. Create a new field which is set to false when record count >0

3. Append the new field to the ouput that i want to control

4. Filter the output based on the new field to determine whether to write the output or not.

joshikalyani
8 - Asteroid

@mschmeiser I need help for disabling container based on condition.

I've three tool  containers in workflow, these three container takes 3 different input files. But all the times these 3 input files are not there so, in this scenario i wanted to figure out how can container can be disables basis on condition if that file is not available.

joshikalyani_0-1674117371318.png

Labels