Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Directory - Full Path - Truncated

YearOfAssessment
5 - Atom

The "FullPath" field is truncated when I use the "Directory" tool to pull out the data. I know you could move the file location or shorten the file names to avoid the issue of truncation, but are there other ways that I could bypass the truncation issue when I choose to extract a complete "FullPath" field from "Directory"?

I am trying to utilize the "fullpath" field in the later stage of the workflow.

4 REPLIES 4
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @YearOfAssessment ,

The only suggestion I can think of is to use the Directory column + filename. It will add 260 characters to your string max.

fmvizcaino_0-1638296088424.png

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

YearOfAssessment
5 - Atom

That came across my mind too, but unfortunately it didn't work since the filepath is just too long.

Thank you for the idea though.

My solution unfortunately is doing what I did not wanted to do, shortening the file names. 

mutama
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @YearOfAssessment , have you tried using the Select tool after the Directory tool, and manually change the Data Type to “V_WString”, and Data Size to something bigger (e.g. 99999999) - and see if this trick works?

Similar to this discussion thread here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/get-Full-Path-as-VW-String-size-32767/...

YearOfAssessment
5 - Atom

Hi mutama,

I have seen that post before. Correct me if i am wrong, but the moment the data came out from "Directory", the field would have been truncated already. Changing the size of the field after would not retrieve the original complete field.

I tried testing your method, and unfortunately it did not work for me.

YearOfAssessment_0-1639022875556.png

Labels