Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Difficult formula or filter criteria

StephenT
8 - Asteroid

Hi all

I run a weekly workflow based on people leaving our Firm, and sending them email reminders to return their IT equipment.
 prior to their departure.

The workflow has worked fine up to now, but I have just notice a flaw in my logic.

Occasionally we have a situation where someone 'resigns' from the firm, but then rescinds their request - my workflow only picks up the terminations that are competed successfully -  it does not pick up where resignations are rescinded, leaving my team with a slight embarrassment.

In the example below John Smith has resigned and is leaving on 30th Oct, and his request was completed on 25th Oct. 

On 27th Oct he rescinded his resignation, cancelling out the original request,

Departer nameBusiness Process TypeTransaction statusCompleted DateDeparture Date
John SmithTerminationCompleted successfully25-Oct-1930-Oct-19
John SmithTerminationRescinded27-Oct-1930-Oct-19

Is it possible to set up a filter or formal that would resolve this ?

I have limited knowledge of Alteryx Workflow, and just don't have the brainpower to work this question out. 😆

14 REPLIES 14
StephenT
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Qiu 

Sorry for the delay - things have been a little hectic lately.

I've just had a good look at the workflow and can understand it.

when i added it to my master workflow i realised the "Departure date" and "Completed date" are already a date fields, hence doesn't need converting from a string field.

Can I delete the 2 "Date Time" functions, or do I have to make other adjustments/corrections ?

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@StephenT 

Thank you for the feedback.

The field name changes a bit if the parsing Time Tool is elimitated.

Anyway, I modified the workflow and have the  "Departure date" and "Completed date" as Date Type Field.

1106-StephenT-R1.PNG

StephenT
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Qiu 

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, but had other high priorities to contend with, but now i can get back to the workflow

I have merged your workflow into my master one, and am seeing an error.
StephenT_0-1607484440214.png
The only modification I have made is to change "Completed_Successfully" to "Successfully_Completed" in the formula criteria - the other fields are the same.

I just checked the initial data dump and noticed there are no 'rescinded' terminations in this week's dump - would this cause the error, seeing as how the select is looking for a variable called 'Rescinded" ?

StephenT_1-1607485750920.png

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@StephenT 
It says the field "Rescinded" is missing.

Do you still have that field?

StephenT
8 - Asteroid

When I check the Crosstab function it is not showing

StephenT_0-1607491575086.png

Would that be because there are no rescinded terminations in the current period ?

Labels