Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Differentiate Null and Blank cell in an IN-DB dataset

vaibhavmarathey
5 - Atom

Hello

I have an IN-DB dataset on HIVE (hdfs), in this certain cell are Blank as well Null. In an IN-DB workflow I am able to idenntify NULL cells but having trouble filtering out blank cell. 

Any pointers on solving this issue shall be great help. 

Thanks

Vaibhav

7 REPLIES 7
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

i believe '' (or empty value) is empty in Hive syntax so: where "column" =''  should work.

note -I had a recent situation in a Databricks query where I needed to drop the column name quotes to get it to run. And yes I do have field names quoted checked.

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @vaibhavmarathey,

In Designer, you can also utilize the formulas below to filter these out. 

IsEmpty([FieldName]) would identify the empty/blank values columns.

IsNull([FieldName]) would identify the null values in a column.

Hope this helps, if it does please mark it as a solution and like the post.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@PanPP  those don't work In-DB. Formula In-DB uses the native SQL format of the back end DB. Fields are (usually) denoted in quotes.

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can utilize the data stream out tool to utilize a normal formula tool with the expressions that were mentioned.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@PanPP - that's fine on 1000 records. or 10000 records. Have you tried to datastream out 10,000,000 or 100,000,000 or 1,000,000,000 records?

maygross
8 - Asteroid

Have you ever figured this out for the in DB filter tool? im currently having the same issue

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

are you using filter-in-db? What kind of SQL are you using? That would dicate your solution.

Labels