Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Different user, same workflow macro connections lost

PuffinPanic
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

Hi,

I'm not even sure how to explain my issue in a succinct way, so I hope you'll bear with me.

My (very small) team and I have Designer licenses (no server etc) and a sharepoint system where we share files. 

I have designed a number of workflows that have to be run regularly. For resilience purposes, I have set these up using radio buttons to specify the user which open/close containers as appropriate to allow differing input addresses for example. (C:\Users\<user name>\rest of the filepath) 

This has been working well up to now, but, as I learn more, my workflows are getting more complex. 

My most recent has a macro to allow a detour but the macro is being found down my filepath (C:\Users\PuffinPanic\rest of the filepath) which means that the workflow falls apart when my team members try to run it. If I open it after setting up the macro with one of my team members' file-paths their macro links fall apart:

PuffinPanic_1-1668094104927.png

The only solution I can see at the moment is to save the workflow once for each team member with the appropriate filepaths set up for inputs, macros, etc, but this is less than ideal.

Any suggestions for alternate ways to manage this issue or how to resolve the problem with the macro would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kind regards

PuffinPanic

3 REPLIES 3
gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Hey @PuffinPanic 

I believe the issue is that the macros have not been packaged in your workflow. 

- If you are saving the workflow to the gallery, you will have a "Manage Workflow Assets" option under advanced settings - ensure the macros have been selected prior to saving.

- For macros, you can also save all macros being used in a shared location (like a network drive) and edit the folder path in workflow dependencies to point to the shared location

gautiergodard_0-1668100812113.png

- If you are saving the workflow locally, you can go to the "export workflow" option under the options dropdown - this will also allow you to select macros and files you'd like to package within the ZIP file created

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@gautiergodard  is correct - but there is another potential issue. Your underlying macro should NOT be in your standard Alteryx Macros sub-directory. That directory is really for base Macros and you will not be able to include those Macros as Workflow Dependencies. Save your macro in the same directory as your other workflow components.

PuffinPanic
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

Thanks for your replies. 

What I'm understanding from this is that each user will have to have their own copy of the workflow (exported and sent, we don't have a gallery) to get the macros to work. Ah well, there are pros and cons to working for a small company I suppose. 

At least I don't save the macros in the Alteryx Macros sub-directory, so I don't have to change anything there.

Thanks Again,

PuffinPanic

Labels