Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Different schema than the 1st file error

seelan89
6 - Meteoroid

HI All,

I am trying to combine a number of workbooks, all of which have tabs titled the same.

I tried to create a workflow with input data for each of the tabs and with the use of "*" to pull automatically from a folder as and when more files come into it.

However I am getting an error which says that one of the tabs from one of the worksheets has a different schema than the 1st file 

I think i need to use a batch macro but I am not sure how. Any suggestions how to solve this issue?

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@seelan89 

Here's a great article explaining how to approach this problem. 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @seelan89 ,

Use the directory tool in conjunction with the attached macro. This will loop through and load in each sheet at a time. This is very useful as it circumvents a problem you often encounter with the standard Directory input with the Dynamic Input tool, where things such as merged cells in Excel often cause problems.

I hope this helps.

M.

Bulien

seelan89
6 - Meteoroid

@mceleavey @MichalM thanks both.

sample workflow helped a bunch as well.

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

I am a beginner here. I could not understand this macro and have no idea on how to run this. Would you please elaborate?

For me, I do have a problem with Read all input files. It goes well for all the files from 1Jan to 8Jan, but showed error for 9Jan saying it has a different schema than the 1st file in the set.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JokeFun ,

download the attached macro and save it into your macro folder (if you have not set one yet go to Options->User Settings->Edit User Settings and click the "Macros" tab. Click the + sign and navigate to a folder you want to use for your macros.

Once you have done this, use the directory tool to select the parent folder of where your Excel sheets are sitting (using the "Include SubDirectories" option if they are in multiple folders. Then feed this into both macro inputs. In the macro, on the "Questions" tab, select the fullpath field.

This should now load in all of your spreadsheets.

Hope this helps.

M.

Bulien

tgill1
7 - Meteor

Hi @mceleavey 

I've run into a similar issue - I'm trying your macro solution. However, the macro throws up an error to specify a sheet. How do you do this?

Thanks

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @tgill1 ,

you need to use the directory tool to retrieve all filenames, you then use the formula tool to build the fullpath. In that formula, use "+|||<Sheet Name>" add the sheet name to the path. 

M.

Bulien

tgill1
7 - Meteor

Thanks - I'm a beginner with macros so sorry for the questions.

I've added a formula in between the directory and macro tool. I get the error that File 1 is missing from the folder I saved the macros in.

Do you know why this may be?

tgill1_0-1585570870629.png

jenner85
8 - Asteroid

@tgill1 @mceleavey  Hi - I am running into the same issues trying to use this macro - was this ever resolved? thanks!

Labels