Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Detour tool

vamsey
8 - Asteroid

Hi Evereyone,

I have a floder which refreshes daily if the file contain any records the file will come with file name input.xlsx and if the file doesnot contain any record it comes as  input_NA.xlsx as shown in figure.

vamsey_0-1634825111530.png

I have to run the workflow if the input file is present on that day and have to set an alrert email if no files are present on that day.

3 REPLIES 3
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @vamsey,

I would go the approach of using a filter tool, separating out into two streams (one for the main workflow and another for the email) depending on whether or not the file contains records.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

vamsey
8 - Asteroid

Hi Jonathan,

I tried that but if the file is not there the worflow won't run and it will through up an error if I use fiter tool. That's why I thought of using detour tool.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @vamsey 

What you can do is read the input file with wildcard name like Input*.xlsx refer below

Case 1: Only Input.xlsx is present and data is present. In this scenario, only Input.xlsx is read.

atcodedog05_1-1634905580533.png

Case 2: Only Input_NA.xlsx is present and no data is present. In this scenario, only Input_NA.xlsx is read and since it doesn't have the required columns the workflow will throw an error. You can configure an event to trigger an email upon error. 

atcodedog05_2-1634905613944.png

Refer this page on how to configure event: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Email-Events-to-notify-on-Start-or-... 

Hope this looking what you are looking for.

Hope this helps : )

Labels