Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Detour based on 'None' condition in macro

Hugo
9 - Comet

Hi All,

I have a macro where there is a drop down list for a user to select a field - but I also want them to be able to select 'None'

I want to detour the workflow based on if they selected 'None' or not. The way I am doing this is with a Condition tool which updates the action tool to modify the workflow

However, my macro does not divert based on the selection, and I think I have the condition tool incorrectly configured (or maybe the action tool)

My macro looks as follows:

clipboard_image_1.png

My condition expression is:  [#1]='None' , I have also tried IsNull([#1]) but got the same result (workflow does not divert).

I have set the action as "Update Detour Direction from Condition" and updated detour to the Right direction.

Can anyone see what is going wrong with my macro?

4 REPLIES 4
TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I haven't looked through the macro completely, but the test should be [#1] = "". Here's a simple example app that I put in a yxzp since Community won't let us post yxwz files.

EDIT: I made the changes to your macro and am getting a slew of errors in the formula tools. I stripped out the action tools connected to the formula tools and verified that the detours are working correctly with the [#1] = "" test. But there's something wrong with the way the action tools are updating the formulas.

EDIT2: You need to look at the way the formulas are set up in the action tools. I think your formulas are generating toString(Account ID) without the square brackets on the column name. The errors I'm seeing are reporting an unknown variable "Account"

Hugo
9 - Comet

Thanks TonyA - nice to know the first place I was going wrong 😄 

I'll keep trying on the formula updating with the action tools - it's not something I have tried before so happy to muddle my way through it

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

My pleasure, @Hugo . Unless you'd like some more help please mark the response as a solution so people know this one is resolved and can find it if they have a similar issue.

Thanks!

Tony

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

This might help to debug a macro:

Community > Blogs > Engine Works Blog > The X-Ray Browse: Macro Debugging Made Easier

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/The-X-Ray-Browse-Macro-Debugging-Made-Easier/ba-p...

Also:

From Tips and Tricks 2019.pdf, page 73:

ANALYTIC APPS AND MACROS TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS

DEBUG WORKFLOW

Apps and Macros have a debug feature that can be used to verify your app or macro is working as designed.

To use the debug feature, open the Interface Designer (Views > Interface Designer) and select the Test View (button on the left). Fill out the information requested by your app or macro, then click on Open Debug.

A debug workflow will open as a new tab in your current Alteryx session.

(A copy of the workflow will open called Debug Workflow# (# being some number))

Run the debug workflow to make sure it is creating your desired results.

Labels