Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Determining the top % of values in a column

Jon_Taylor
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am seeking a solution to find the Top 80% or more of a column to that columns total.I tried using the sample tool using"first  N% " but I believe the tool is pulling the rows at that %. So like if I have 10 rows and pull 50% ill get the first 5 rows. is this correct? what I want to do is look through the column and pull the rows where the values sum to 80%+.

Jon_Taylor_0-1615304966500.png

Here I know the first 3 lines make up 98% of the total amount. I want this to be automatic rather than have to calculate it myself and update the sample tool from "first 3 rows" to how ever many rows it changes to in the next run. 

Thanks,

Jon

2 REPLIES 2
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Jon_Taylor,

Please check my solution:

Emil_Kos_0-1615305834719.png

It is dynamic as you wanted:

Emil_Kos_1-1615305849394.png

What I did I have created a total value and after that, I have used it to calculate the percentage value. Running total allowed me to filter the data to show the relevant data. 

Jon_Taylor
8 - Asteroid

@Emil_Kos  Thank you for the help and learning opportunity. This is great, and correct. It also shows me a great example of how to put the append tool and running total tool to use in a real example. 

Labels