Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Determining the top % of values in a column

Jon_Taylor
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am seeking a solution to find the Top 80% or more of a column to that columns total.I tried using the sample tool using"first  N% " but I believe the tool is pulling the rows at that %. So like if I have 10 rows and pull 50% ill get the first 5 rows. is this correct? what I want to do is look through the column and pull the rows where the values sum to 80%+.

Jon_Taylor_0-1615304966500.png

Here I know the first 3 lines make up 98% of the total amount. I want this to be automatic rather than have to calculate it myself and update the sample tool from "first 3 rows" to how ever many rows it changes to in the next run. 

Thanks,

Jon

2 REPLIES 2
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Jon_Taylor,

Please check my solution:

Emil_Kos_0-1615305834719.png

It is dynamic as you wanted:

Emil_Kos_1-1615305849394.png

What I did I have created a total value and after that, I have used it to calculate the percentage value. Running total allowed me to filter the data to show the relevant data. 

Jon_Taylor
8 - Asteroid

@Emil_Kos  Thank you for the help and learning opportunity. This is great, and correct. It also shows me a great example of how to put the append tool and running total tool to use in a real example. 

Labels