Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Determine if Workflow is running via scheduled Gallery run, or via desktop Designer?

Scott_Snowman
10 - Fireball

I have a workflow that pulls data from a database, formats and saves it to a file, and then emails that file to a recipient list. Currently we have this running in our Company's gallery once a week.

I have a request to modify the body of the workflow to go to a different recipient list for different days of the week, which I've solved. However, I'd like to dynamically detect in the workflow if it's being run by a person manually in Designer or as an automatically scheduled run. (If it's run manually, I only want the results file to go to the owner of the workflow and not the recipient list(s).)

Is there a way to detect the run environment as a parameter within an IF - THEN - ELSE statement? It looks like the Engine.GuiInteraction constant might work but the documentation on the constant doesn't clarify what happens if the workflow is running in the Gallery.

2 REPLIES 2
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Scott_Snowman I can confirm that [Engine.GuiInteraction]="1" will return true on designer desktop and false in the gallery. You can put that inside an if then else.

Scott_Snowman
10 - Fireball

Thanks a bunch, @patrick_digan !

Labels