Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Desktop Automation and In-DB Tools (Data Connections vs In-DB Connections)

anthony_fiel
7 - Meteor

Our group is automating workflows on our desktops due to some access restrictions, and for the most part all is functioning well.  We had to temporarily elevate rights in order to setup 'system' connections (In/Out Tools) for the automated workflows.  But now, we are trying to introduce the In-Database Tools and are attempting to set up the connections in the same way.  The problem is when we close and restart Alteryx Designer the 'system' In-DB connections are not available. 

Are the in-db 'system' connections configured to only work when signed in as admin?  

And if so, how could we utilize In-DB tools using desktop automation?

3 REPLIES 3
EricWe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @anthony_fiel,

Creating system connections does require administrator privileges. If you are granted admin rights on your computer, than signing into Designer as an Admin is not necessary. The System type connections are different from User connections in that they are shared for anyone using the computer and can be shared with Gallery when uploading workflows.

If ODBC connections are being used, I suggest checking the System DSN tab of the ODBC administrator to verify what System connections are available.

Another option when Managing In-DB connections, is the use of File type connections. An In-DB file connection can be shared with Gallery as well.

Please reply for any assistance needed.

anthony_fiel
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the reply EricWe,

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a difference in setting up 'Data Connections' vs 'In-DB Connections'?  We can get the system data connections to work for anyone using the computer as you said.  But it does not seem like system In-DB connections work for all users.  Rather, it seems like those connections only work for admins.  

It was my understanding that when I click the Run workflow button in Designer, it runs the workflow using my user credentials.  Similarly when I schedule the workflow to run using Desktop Automation, it would run under the system credentials.  Would the desktop automation scheduler run the file connection in this case?  We were told that automation utilizes only the system connections.

EricWe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @anthony_fiel

User type connections are not shared with the Scheduler database. This is also true when using regular non In-DB tools. You can use In-DB file type connections when scheduling In-DB workflows.

Also, if you have administrator rights on your computer, another option is to right click Designer when opening and select the option to Run As Administrator. You will be able to create System type connections. Afterwards those System connections can be used to scheduled workflows without logging in as administrator.

There may be a Run As account set for the Scheduler database. To check, go to Options, Advanced Options, System Settings, and check the Run As tab in the Worker section.

Please reply for any assistance needed. 

Labels