Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Designer Hangs on Startup - Getting an error related to CLR.DLL in Windows Events Manager

mdorio
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

There I was....coding away in Alteryx and minding my own business, and the cursor started spinning.  A few seconds later, Alteryx crashed.

I tried to started it again, and the splash screen appears, but then nothing else.  If you click on the splash screen, it disappears.

When you look at task manager, AlteryxGUI.exe is using memory and CPU resources for a little bit while the splash screen is showing, and then just ends after a little bit.

I have emailed Alteryx support, and they gave me a knowledge base article to uninstall/install and try the compatibility checker, but that did not work and they have not provided any additional solutions.

I have tried all of these:
- Full uninstall and reinstall

- Create a new default UserSettings.xml file

- Delete all temporary files

- Delete the license folders

- Compatibility tester and run in Windows 8 and Windows 7 mode

Does anyone have any other ideas on what to try? My next thoughts were to reinstall .Net Framework to get a new version of CLR.dll, but that's about all I can think of now outside of getting a new laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @mdorio 
I am sorry to hear about your issue. 
I believe you have done all of the steps I would have done to troubleshoot. Can I check that you followed these steps for an uninstall?:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Complete-Uninstall-of-Alteryx-Desig... 

Also i found this thread from searching the community, which may be of interest:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Alteryx-Crashes-on-startup/td-p/13154 

I have never experienced that issue myself, but if you have been developing macros (and potentially circular macros), you may be experiencing the same issue. There is a response in that thread on how to resolve that thread.

Cheers,

TheOC

Bulien
mdorio
7 - Meteor

Hey @TheOC ,

Thanks so much for your solution.  I was messing around with this for the past 4 days and it turned out to be the circular macro.

I removed all my macros from the folder they were in, and it started right up.

Thanks again!

Mike

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey Mike,
No worries at all! I'm surprised it was the solution, just one I had found from searching the community.

Be careful with those circular macros now! 😁

Cheers,

Owen

Bulien
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

oh - and be sure to let the Alteryx Support team who were helping you know, it might make a future resolution faster.

Happy Alteryx'ing!

Owen

Bulien
Labels