Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Designer|Data Import - Numeric Values inconsistency

Mj9715
8 - Asteroid

Hi All, 

I have an excel data input sheet has numeric columns. However, some of the rows are being interpreted by Alteryx using scientific notation (eg 5.39..E-2) and some are being read as is (eg 0.108...). 

However since any numeric conversion using formula fields such as ToNumber or data field changes affects the entire field and doesn't solve my issue. Essentially, I do not want the scientific notation and want Alteryx to  take the input data as is. If that isn't possible, I'd prefer a uniform way of Alteryx interpreting it, i.e., either scientific notation or as is. This way at least I can use fix this across the field. 

Any suggestions please?

Mj9715_0-1642502788679.png

4 REPLIES 4
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Mj9715 

Try using a select tool and converting it to double.

If still facing issue can you provide sample excel file where you are facing the issue.

Hope this helps : )

Mj9715
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05 - Unfortunately, te select tool is altering the value by simply dropping the notation instead of dividing it by 100, which is what needs to happen to convert e-2 to a true decimal. 

I have attached the file for your reference - as shown below the N  column is the one which is being interpreted as a mix of scientific notation and true decimal (As is) when opened in Alteryx. 

Mj9715_0-1642577984169.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Mj9715 

Here is how you can do it. I am considering only benchmark has a number you can update filter as required.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1642578613866.png

Hope this helps : )

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @Mj9715 

Cheers and have a nice day!

Labels