Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Deriving previous month name and year(Aug-2021) from datetimetoday()

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

I was wondering if there is an easy calculation to get previous month name and year from datetimetoday(). For example if I run my workflow today or anytime in month of September I need to capture Aug-2021 in a field.

Thanks in Advance for your help!

5 REPLIES 5
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Idyllic_Data_Geek ,

DateTimeFunctions can help.

DateTimeFormat(DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(), -1, 'month'), '%b-%Y') will return what you need. DateTimeAdd finds the previous month, and DateTimeFormat creates the requested formant. The result field has to be a string data type.

Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Roland

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Idyllic_Data_Geek 

I agree with @RolandSchubert's solution. I'd suggest bookmarking the below page. I reference it constantly when working with dates.

https://help.alteryx.com/20213/designer/datetime-functions

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

It worked like a charm. Thank you

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

what formula can I use to subtract the below 2 fields which are VWstring data type?

Idyllic_Data_Geek_0-1641310876525.png

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Idyllic_Data_Geek 

You'd need to use DateTimeParse to convert to dates, then DateTimeDiff. I have it set to get the difference in months, but you could change 'month' to 'day' if needed. 

datetimediff(datetimeparse([Today_Month],'%B, %Y'),datetimeparse([Report Month],'%B, %Y'),'month')

Luke_C_0-1641311630271.png

Labels