Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Deleting very last column of excel files

Rahul_Analyst
9 - Comet

Hi,

I have 100 excel files with same data type and structure. What I want is to delete the last column from each file and get all 100 files with the remaining columns. 

I have tried a lot to search its solution, but unable to do. 

Please help me.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Akash__on
8 - Asteroid

Whether you use Alteryx or Python you have to load the file for any update or changes. 

So loading 100 files on alteryx to remove 1 column is not efficient. 

It will be good if you do it manually on Excel itself.

I will try to find any alternative solution if possible.

Regards 

Akash

Rahul_Analyst
9 - Comet

@Akash__on ,

Once again thanks!

is it possible to do in 10 or 20 files or just 5 files ? However, the condition is, we should get the output as same as earlier file with remaining columns.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Rahul_Analystplease Upload some sample files and expected output as well

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

You can read all files using, for instance, the directory + dynamic input tools, remove the column with select then save it with output data tool. Configure the dynamic input to display the file name or full path so then you can use this field on the output data tool, the option Take file name from field.

Akash__on
8 - Asteroid

let's try this solution. @Rahul_Analyst 

Rahul_Analyst
9 - Comet

@binuacs 

I have attached 2 sample files and the 2 output files which I want. These are the exact raw files where I want to delete "Column I" and keep it blank in both the files in output.

Here, you see top 3 are headers and sub-headers.  

Thanks!

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Rahul_Analyst the attached workflow contains batch macro which will combine all your excel file into one file and then you can unselect the field which you dont want using a select tool

binuacs_0-1644490557668.png

Rahul_Analyst
9 - Comet

@binuacs Thanks a lot!

It resolved. Moreover, I have also found a way of doing it without macro. 

Thanks once again to all for giving your time and efforts!

Rahul_Analyst
9 - Comet

@Akash__on and @gabrielvilella ,

I could not using dynamic input because I still need to learn more on using dynamic tool.

Anyways, thanks for proving me a solution. 

Labels