Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Deleting Middle Names

krishnagandhi
8 - Asteroid

So i am trying to do a join function but one set of data has middle names, while the other doesn't. What i am trying to do is delete the middle names from my smaller set of data so i can join it properly. How would i achieve this? I am guessing the RegEx tool?

krishnagandhi_0-1586358380598.png

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Blake
12 - Quasar

Hi @krishnagandhi - it is hard to know exactly what you want without some sample data beyond a screenshot, but try out the attached regex tools and see if on works for you. You could also use a text to columns tool + a formula to concatenate the name if you aren't comfortable with Regex and your delimiter is always a comma. Do all you records contain this extra middle name or just some?

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @krishnagandhi,

If that is the format of your data you could use the "Text to Columns" tool to parse it into three columns using the comma as the delimiter, then re-combine the columns with the first and last name only using a Formula tool.

May be a few more steps than using Regex, but should be effective.

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi! You could do it using Regex Tool, or a simple text-to-column as well. Attached is an implementation using text-to-column as a sample.

AbhilashR_0-1586359427530.png

Labels