Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Deleting Empty Rows at the top of the table

dhtay
8 - Asteroid
Hi all, Here's my problem: I receive an Excel file from a business partner on a bi-weekly basis, which I transform using Alteryx into a format that I prefer. While the size and field names of the table is rather consistent, The number of empty rows at the top of the sheet varies. Is there an elegant way to get rid of the leading empty rows? The rows may not necessarily be fully empty, so I guess a safer bet would be to look for the field names in the first row of the table. Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

As long as you know a header value that's always going to exist you can use something like:

Workflow.jpg

If you plug your data in at the start, you'll then need to update the filter circled in red to look for what you need, the rest should work without being updated.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @dhtay 

If there are a few rows which will remain empty, you can filter on those.

In the Filter tool, set a custom filter to be:

!IsEmpty([F2])
OR
!IsEmpty([f3])

as many columns as needed to define the rows you want to skip, and then stream off of the T output.

You could also do the reverse, using IsEmpty([col1]) AND IsEmpty([col2]).... and stream off of the F output.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers,

Esther

dhtay
8 - Asteroid
Thank you both! They're both good solutions. Sorry for the chunk of text. The line breaks in my responses don't appear for some reason. @JoeS I've never used the Dynamic Replace tool, so this was educational for me.
Labels