Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Delete certain number of rows

hannahobanner
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to clean up a text-to-columns tool, and I am wondering if there is a way to delete or make null a certain amount of rows. For example, if the row says "DATE:" then make that and the next 5 rows null.

hannahroper_0-1572898244032.png

6 REPLIES 6
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

It might actually be easiest to do this with a filter tool using a custom filter:

!Contains([data],"Date:" AND !Contains([data],"TIME:" AND !Contains([data],"--------------" AND !Contains([data],"UNIT" AND !Contains([data],"ID."

hannahobanner
6 - Meteoroid

This worked, thank you!

jeanvaladez
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Brandon,

What if I want to get rid of "Deductible State Tax:" and the following N of states? Is there an easier way to do that without having to type out the custom filter for each N of states? Or is there another tool I can use? I tried using the Sample tool but I need all of the rows before and after the state info.

jeanvaladez_0-1573485845595.png

Thanks!

Jeanette

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jeanvaladez 

I normally use a method like this that uses a formula to create a new column with the value 1 when the field contains the starting row, a running total on that counter field, and finally a filter when the running total is greater than or equal to 1 so that the rows passed through will be that row onward. Picture is below and screenshot is attached: 

all rows following specific one.png

jeanvaladez
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for your prompt response. However, the picture I attached is what I need to get rid of so how would I do that for all the rows pictures in that column for the states? Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,

Jeanette

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can just take the results from the F output on the filter and it will show all of the rows that come before the one that have indicated

Labels