Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Delete certain number of rows

hannahobanner
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to clean up a text-to-columns tool, and I am wondering if there is a way to delete or make null a certain amount of rows. For example, if the row says "DATE:" then make that and the next 5 rows null.

hannahroper_0-1572898244032.png

6 REPLIES 6
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

It might actually be easiest to do this with a filter tool using a custom filter:

!Contains([data],"Date:" AND !Contains([data],"TIME:" AND !Contains([data],"--------------" AND !Contains([data],"UNIT" AND !Contains([data],"ID."

hannahobanner
6 - Meteoroid

This worked, thank you!

jeanvaladez
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Brandon,

What if I want to get rid of "Deductible State Tax:" and the following N of states? Is there an easier way to do that without having to type out the custom filter for each N of states? Or is there another tool I can use? I tried using the Sample tool but I need all of the rows before and after the state info.

jeanvaladez_0-1573485845595.png

Thanks!

Jeanette

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jeanvaladez 

I normally use a method like this that uses a formula to create a new column with the value 1 when the field contains the starting row, a running total on that counter field, and finally a filter when the running total is greater than or equal to 1 so that the rows passed through will be that row onward. Picture is below and screenshot is attached: 

all rows following specific one.png

jeanvaladez
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for your prompt response. However, the picture I attached is what I need to get rid of so how would I do that for all the rows pictures in that column for the states? Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,

Jeanette

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can just take the results from the F output on the filter and it will show all of the rows that come before the one that have indicated

Labels