Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Delete Specific Rows

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to delete specific rows within a column. My data file keeps repeating the below highlighted in yellow rows and I was wondering if I can create a filter or function that will delete these rows. 

mustufa2019_0-1572505037654.png

10 REPLIES 10
nerces
8 - Asteroid

There are various ways to do this, one way that I would suggest is to use the filter tool in combination with the LEFT function. Your custom expression in the filter tool should look something like:

LEFT([FieldName],19) = "ACS SECURITY REPORT" OR LEFT([FieldName],8) = "POST ACS" OR LEFT([FieldName],11) = "ID INITIALS"

As I said, there are multiple ways of doing this, so it may not be the best method for you, but it should get on you track to a solution that meets your needs.

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @mustufa2019 

Without a sample to work with, not sure if this would work directly with your actual data, but REGEX is how I'd approach this. Using a REGEX_MATCH() function in a filter would split the records that matched the specified pattern.

jrgo_0-1572535195324.png

Here is the REGEXpression i entered into the Filter. You'll need to be sure you update the "[Field1]" to whatever your field name is.

REGEX_MATCH([Field1], '^[A-Z]+\s+[A-Z]+\s+.+\s+[A-Z]{2}\d+\s+[A-Z]+\s+.+$')

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

@nerces Thank you so much, this worked! I have question in regards to the scripts:

LEFT([SJOB: JG541ACS RUN DATE: 04/27/19 TIME: 1:58:31 BANK: 541 ID: 541 ],19) = "ACS SECURITY REPORT" OR

What does the "19" in the above script refer to?

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

@jrgo thank you so much! this worked too but i'm trying to understand the logic of this script

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Here's the break down of each token to match a string pattern for...

^ = from the beginning of the string/line

[A-Z]+ = any letter 1 or more times

\s+ = a space 1 or more times

\s+ = a space 1 or more times

.+ = any character 1 or more times

[A-Z]{2} = two consecutive letters

\d+ = any number 1 or more times

.+ = any character 1 or more times

$ = to the end of string/line

markcurry
12 - Quasar

19 is the number of characters it reads from the left (start of the string).  It’s 19 because that’s the length of "ACS SECURITY REPORT"

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

@markcurry that makes sense! However, i noticed the "Post ACS" field is still not being removed. Is there something i missed in the function?

mustufa2019_0-1572670404361.png

markcurry
12 - Quasar
It’s hard to see from the screenshot, but are there 2 spaces between Post and ACS? If so, add the extra space to your left function and change it to 9 characters.
mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

No, there are not. i tried few combination 7,8,9 and etc. Still doesnt work... @markcurry 

Labels