Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Delete Rows in File 1 based on unique ID match in file #2

lhew2998
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I've got 2 files that i'm trying to cross check.

File #1 contains a large amount of data, inclusive of rows of data (identified via a Unique ID) that are irrelevant for my purposes.

File #2 contains a list of all relevant unique ID's that i'd like to keep (alternatively i also have file #3 that has all irrelevant Unique IDs)

What i'm trying to do is cross check File #1 against File #2 and delete all rows in File #1 with Unique Id's not within File #2

e.g.

Before

File #1

Unique ID

Description

Amount

123.XYZ

test

223.ABC

test 1

test 2

File #2

Unique ID

223.ABC

After

File #1

Unique ID

Description

Amont

223.ABC

test 1

test 2

5 REPLIES 5
Chrispy
7 - Meteor

If you connect the two files using the join tool, joining on the unique ID, then center output should be what you are looking for - it'll be everything from file #1 (the left input) that had a match found in file #2 (the right input).

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

Attached is what @Chrispy describes

join.png

lhew2998
5 - Atom

Hi Both,

sorry, I may have misrepresented the ID portion of my question.

The actual ID i'm filtering on is an account number (rather than a unique line number)

as such there may be 100,000 lines associated to this account number that I need deleted.

When I run the join workflow comparing my 2 files, the output is only 2,000 lines long as it is taking the first 2,000 instances of this account filter, rather than 1,000,000 that I expect.

Given that the Unique id (per file #2) is not unique to each line in File #1, is there a way to delete all rows in file 1 with that account number?

e.g.

Before

File #1

Line ID

Account ID

Description

Amount

123.XYZ

test

223.ABC

test 1

test 2

File #2

Unique Account ID

After

File #1

Line ID

Account ID

Description

Amount

223.ABC

test 1

test 2

Chrispy
7 - Meteor

I think I misunderstood what you were initially trying to do, however, I still believe joining the two files on the account ID is the way to go. Assuming you connect file #1 to the left input, and file #2 to the right, the three outputs should give you the following:

Left output: all account IDs from file #1 that did not have a matching account ID in file #2

Join (center) output: all account IDs that appear in both file #1 and file #2

Right output: all account ID's from file #2 that did not have a matching account ID in file #1

That said, I think the left output is what you are looking for. Anything from file #1 that has an account ID contained in file #2 will be sent to the Join (center) output, leaving only file #1 account IDs without a match in the left output. If this is not the case, let me know, and we can try to troubleshoot the problem further.

lhew2998
5 - Atom

Solved!

realised it was actually a problem with my File #2 that was causing my problem

thanks so much!

Labels