Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Delay SQL Query

PeterAP
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I have SQL queries in two input tools running from the same database. By running the two together, it seems to crash.

Is there a way to delay one query from running until the other one has completed? I thought the block until done tool might work here, but a) it needs an input and b) it can't output to an input tool.

In one of the queries, I'm trying to break it down using a dynamic input tool to bring in a year's worth of data at a time - which I'm also hoping will help.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @PeterAP ,

I think what you're looking for is the PostSQL Statement, found here:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Alteryx-Pre-Post-SQL-Statements/ta-...

The PostSQL statement happens after the query, so this should work for yourself in making sure one query runs after the other. The only part I am unsure on is whether this is possible within the dynamic input tool!

Hope this helps,

EDIT: on second thoughts - i've just noticed that the postSQL query doesn't bring data into the workflow, so i do not think this would work for yourself.

Bulien
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @PeterAP ,

If you are using two input tools and want one input tool to run first, use the "block until done" tool immediately following the first tool, then place your second input tool on the canvas. This will delay the second input until the first one has completed. 

If the second one is dependant on the first, then what @TheOC said might work, but that is generally pre and post within a single tool.

Let me know if the block until done tool works.

M.

Bulien

Labels