Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Delay Batch File

wolfgangh
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I created a workflow that is rendering a report, that is formatted by a batch file. Once I run this workflow as an Analytic App, the batch file runs before the workflow is finished. Is there a simple idea, to delay the run of the batch file without any additional macros?

Thanks and best regards,

Wolfgang

4 REPLIES 4
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @wolfgangh,

Without seeing your workflow I can recommend a couple of solutions.  First is using the Block Until Done tool, which stops data from moving downstream until the last record of a set has been processed.  Link to information:  

https://help.alteryx.com/2019.4/BlockUntilDone.htm

The other solution is to use a chained app and divide the workflow.  The second workflow does not run until the first is complete, allowing for the batch file to run before completing the remaining workflow that renders the report.  Link to information:  

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Chained-Alteryx-Analytic-Applicatio...

wolfgangh
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

thanks for your answer. The block until done will not work, since I do not sending data to the batch file.

Chaining the app is also not a solution, since we want to give the user one interface, that he can use.

Are there any other methods?

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Another option is the Runner & Conditional Runner CReW Macros, which still require dividing the workflow, but will run the next workflow in the chain when the first has run successfully.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @wolfgangh ,

I understood that your run command doesn't need an input, but you can use @T_Willins suggestion anyway.

You can use the block until done to process sequentially and to create a dummy file in run command tool.

fmvizcaino_0-1581473116049.png

Example attached.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino 

Labels