Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Deduping across Multiple Columns to Single Output Column

barnese
7 - Meteor

Hi Alteryx Experts,

I have a use case where I have been collecting user logins over the past few months.  I need to be able to select certain columns of data and provide a single list of users for that date range.

So for example my data looks like the below:

day 1day 2day 3day 4day 5
johnsallyjohnjohnfred
sallygeorgepetersallytom
miketomsallypeterjohn
petermikefredtomted

and I want to see who logged in for day 3-5, so my desired output is:

Users:
john
peter
sally
fred
tom
ted

I'm trying to do it in a way that I would be able to add and select different columns as time goes by to keep an up to date "active" user list for my application.  I actually also have multiple sources for the login logs so would want to be able to combine and dedupe the lists once each log has a single list.

So far all I have been able to achieve is sorting the columns I want to use, but am at a loss on how to get the dedupe logic working across multiple columns and outputting to a single column. I've tried transposing, unique tool, join multiple tool, etc but I am stumped! 

Please help!

3 REPLIES 3
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @barnese,

You could start by transposing and doing a little bit of preparing:

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1593533519794.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

Zas3NfkB
7 - Meteor

Hi @barnese you can do it fairly easily by pivoting the data then using a filter tool. For this case a simple OR function was used but depending on the size of the data, you could make it more dynamic. 

Zas3NfkB_0-1593533766162.png

barnese
7 - Meteor

Thank you!  Both of these suggestions are working to get the unique list.  I can provide a filter based on timestamp so it is very helpful!  

Labels