Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Decimal to read correctly

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi Team,
I have a data sets which i need to convert this numerical as per below

Description14

30 to read as "30.0" , 27.5 to read only as "27.5" and 25.01 to read as "25.01" - how can we set a formula for decimal integers to read it correctly ? 

Thanks so much ! 

Regards,

Guru

8 REPLIES 8
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Inactive User,

with your example, you can just change the data type to double and it will work.

If you will get a coma instead of a dot it would be more complicated but I have show both solutions in the workflow.

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi @Emil_Kos 

Thanks for your response - I have a huge data set will have to set a formula which identifies below scenario's.
Numeric 30 to read as "30.0" and

no changes if data set shows as "27.5" to read as 27.5 and

25.01 to read it as 2 decimal points... Please advice.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I'm not sure you can get what you want - fixed decimal can (theoretically) enforce a set number of decimal  spaces and double will allow you to have differing number of decimal places - but double does not create a whole number with a trailing decimal. So it seems to me like you want two different numeric types in the same column.

If it's for string display purposes may I present:

if REGEX_Match(tostring([test]),"\d+") then tostring([test])+(".0") else tostring([test]) endif

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@Inactive User 

Only way is if that field is converted to a STRING data type where you can customize the output. If that would be acceptable, the expression below used to create a new field would produce the desired format.

REGEX_REPLACE(TOSTRING([Description14], 2), '^(.+)0$', '$1')

jrgo_0-1619474133891.png

Hope this helps!

Jimmy

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Inactive User,

Now I know that I didn't understand your initial question correctly.

I believe @apathetichell and @jrgo got valid points in order to how you can tackle this problem.

One more question to you @Inactive User what is the reason that you want to highlight the data in this way? 

Inactive User
Not applicable

Thanks !

Inactive User
Not applicable

I wanted to build a logic to match primary data with Alteryx output, hence i need a logic to build in such a way.  

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Inactive User,

Thank you for your explanation. Good luck with your project. I think @jrgo and @apathetichell provided you with valid answers that should help you along the way 🙂 

Labels