Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Datestamp to Ouput File name

ankush_nayyar
5 - Atom
I have few monthly tasks where the data is refereshed. My Input file is from the Oracle dba and the output file is on my local drive. I would like the output file to be overwritten with datestamp as a prefix or suffix to the filename when I run this monthly module. Ideally I would like the datestamp to be MAX([DATE]) but Today's date would also solve my purpose.

18 REPLIES 18
amyralene
5 - Atom
Try this.

After your input, insert a formula tool with Date String and put DateTimeNow() . On your output tool, Check the Take File/Table Name from Field and choose Append Suffix to File/Table Name. For the field containing file name, select the field where you put ur DateTimeNow() and make sure the Keep Field in Output is checked.

ankush_nayyar
5 - Atom
Thank you so much Amy
DennyChan
8 - Asteroid
hello

can you data stanp a xls output, the same way

many thanks

DC
kane_glendenning
10 - Fireball
Hi Denny,

Yes, you can. You may just need to experiment with that "Today_Date" field as to whether it changes the field or table name... you may even need to set the entire string in that field.

Kane
meghnaroy
5 - Atom

If I don't want to include this date column in my output file but yet want to display the output file name with timestamp, how can this be achieved?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

You can UNCHECK the "Keep Field in Output" box (above).  That will remove the date column from the data in your file.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
meghnaroy
5 - Atom

Thanks much. Got to see after I posted the question.

jwpetrov
6 - Meteoroid

The instructions listed in this thread work fine for some files (such as CSV). However, Excel will not add the date/time to the filename. Rather, it will name the Sheet.

I found these instructions:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/knowledgebase/article-id/347

It takes a few more steps but this worked fine for me.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jwpetrov,

I would have gone for 1 of 2 easy options:

1. Prepend the date
  2. Calculate the full filename (including sheet name) as a field putting the date where I need it and replace the output name with the field

At least they are easy in my world.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels